Each year, World Blindness Awareness Month (WBA) is held in October to help bring attention to the global problem of vision impairment and blindness. We will explore how you can participate in WBA in this blog.
What’s World Blindness Awareness Month?
World Blindness Awareness Month is an annual event that takes place in October. The month-long event aims to raise awareness about blindness and visual impairment. During the month, various organizations and individuals worldwide come together to promote awareness of blindness and visual impairment and provide education and resources to those affected by these conditions.
What Happens During World Blindness Awareness Month?
Some of the activities that take place during World Blindness Awareness Month include public awareness campaigns, educational events, and fundraisers. These activities aim to promote understanding and acceptance of blindness and visual impairment and help those affected by these conditions live fulfilling and independent lives.
How Can I Participate in World Blindness Awareness Month?
Here are some ways you can participate in this year’s event and improve your eye health in the process:
1. Visit your eye doctor regularly for an exam and updates on your eyeglass or contact prescription.
2. Invest in a quality pair of sunglasses that offer 100% UVA and UVB protection, and wear them when outdoors.
3. Purchase a tool to help clean your computer screen, smartphone, or tablet since these devices strain your eyes.
4. Take frequent breaks when working on the computer or looking at other electronic screens to rest your eyes and minimize eye fatigue.
5. Keep your distance when reading or participating in other activities that require close-up vision to avoid eye strain.
6. Sit farther away from the television to relax your eyes and avoid headaches caused by intense concentration on the screen.
7. Get adequate sleep each night to allow your eyes time to rest and rejuvenate overnight.
8. Avoid smoking – both first and secondhand smoke is detrimental to your eye health
9. Exercise to promote good circulation throughout the body & decrease your risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration.
We’re Here to Help You in Loveland!
Call Kirk Eye Center at 970-408-3268 today to schedule an appointment, or use the form on this page. Our office serves patients throughout Northern Colorado, including Loveland, Fort Collins, Windsor, and Grand Junction.